[Reading Journal] Be So Good They Can’t Ignore You
Why “follow your passion” is bad advice.
Lessons learned from “So Good They Can’t Ignore You” by Cal Newport.
Trying to “find” your passion or true calling is a waste of time and a drain on your emotional energy.
This is because “follow your passion” assumes:
- You know what you’re passionate about
- If you match this passion to a job, then you’ll have the perfect job.
So to begin: Pick a job in a niche you kind of like and which has the potential to become the foundation of a solid career.
And with time and patience work towards building your career capital by doing these 5 things:
- Cultivating unique skills
- Providing massive value through your work
- Making meaningful connections
- Gathering remarkable experiences
- Building a great reputation
So… If you want to be so good that they can’t ignore you: Don’t “follow” your passion. Let the passion follow you.
Visuals made with infogr.am.